Create a Tornado in a Bottle
A tornado is a violent rotating column of air but smaller than a hurricane. They have a center called the vortex and a rotating column of air around it. In this science fair project we create a hurricane in water.
Aim of the project:
To demonstrate a small model of a hurricane.
- Two similar 2 litre plastic bottles with cap
- Duct tape
- water and coloring pigment
- .5″ holed rubber washer
- Remove the caps from the bottles and create a .5″ hole in them.
- Place one cap over the other so that there flat faces touch each other with the washer in between them. Th washer is placed to prevent any possible leaks.
- Join the caps firmly together using the duct tape.
- Fill upto 3/4th of one plastic bottle and fasten the cap assembly to it.
- Fasten the empty bottle to the other side.
- Holding the filled bottle and the joint, turn the bottles upside down.
- You will see the vortex of a tornado created in the top bottle as the water passes to the empty bottle.