Rock Candy Science Fair Project
The aim of this science project is to make your own rock candy.
- A piece of string (20 cm long)
- One cup of water
- A medium sized bead (should not float in water)
- A small metal rod or a pencil
- Two cups of sugar
- A glass jar
- A Pan
- To one end of the string tie the bead and tie the other end to the middle of the pencil or rod
- Place the pencil horizontally on the edges of the glass jar (See pictiure) and adjust the hanging length of the thread so that it won’t touch the bottom or the side of the glass jar.
- Now pour the water into the pan and boil it
- Add 1/4 cup of sugar into the boiling water and dissolve it.
- Add some more sugar and dissolve it. Repeat this till the boiling water is saturated with sugar. (That is when you can dissolve no more sugar)
- Pour this hot sugar solution into the glass jar
- Place the pencil over the jar as we did earlier
- Allow the solution to cool without any disturbance
- Observe each day and see how the crystals are growing on the string.
Note: This is a lengthy experiment. It may take one week to see full crystal growth.