Simple Project on Electrolysis- Copper Plating Experiment
To demonstrate electrolysis by copper plating a silver spoon.
- A Silver spoon
- A Thin copper plate or wire
- Two 3 Volt batteries
- A connecting wire
- A glass tumbler
- Some water
- A packet of Copper sulphate penta hydrate root killer.
Procedure for the copper plating experiment:
- Fill 3/4th of the glass tumbler with water
- Drop the blue crystals in the root killer packet into the water and stir it.
- Wait till the solution is saturated (The solution turns blue)
- Connect the negative pole of the batteries to the spoon by winding the stripped wire on the spoon handle
- Now connect the copper wire or plate to the positive side of the battery
- With the help of a support hang the spoon-battery-copper plate assembly in such a way that the spoon and the copper plate are immersed in the solution.
- Wait for some time and you can see that the copper plate has become thinner and the spoon has got coated with copper.