Density Tower Experiment
The aim of this science fair project is to make a density tower.
What is density tower?
A density tower is a column of different liquids which are immiscible with each other. Since these liquids are immiscible they form different layers in the liquid column accodring to their densities.
In this experiment we are creating a four column density tower. The materials required are:
- Tall but narrow glass container. A graduated cylinder used in your chemistry lab will do.
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of honey
- a piece of cork
- a rubber ball (small one)
- a metal bolt
- a grape
- Pour honey into the graduated cylinder upto 1/4 of its height.
- Pour water into the cylinder upto 1/2 its height.
- Now pour vegetable oil till it reaches 3/4th of the height of the cylinder.
- Pour rubbing alcohol into the cylinder till it is almost full.
- Add the objects one by one into the cylinder
- Observe the liquids and objects in it.
What do you see?
You will now see that the liquids are now divided into different layers with the denser liquid at the bottom. Also you can observe that the objects are now suspended at different layers of liquids according to their densities.
While pouring liquids into the cylinder make sure that you pour them along the cylinder wall so as not to disturb the liquid below. Avoid any disturbances to the liquid column.